Only two institutions are accredited in the state of Nevada that offer undergraduate and graduate programs in social work: The University of Nevada in Reno and Las Vegas. Continuing education requirements to retain state licensure is between 30 to 36 credit hours, and some topics must consist of ethics and suicide prevention.
Schools in Nevada with online MSW programs include:
- University of Nevada, Reno : Online MSW: Advanced Generalist
Nevada CSWE Accredited MSW Programs
Two institutions provide accredited education in the field of social work from the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). Both the University of Nevada in Las Vegas and Reno provide a Bachelor's and Master's degree in social work. Exclusive to the Reno location, this program is available online for student scheduling flexibility.
Finding a Campus Based Nevada MSW Program
Reno and Las Vegas have separate social work programs that provide a unique experience at the graduate and undergraduate level. In addition to the educational opportunity, there are plenty of social work careers that can be found at these locations. Specializations available at these institutions include becoming an advanced generalist, community development, or management.
University of Nevada-Reno's Online MSW
Students have the ability to pursue a Master of Social Work and specialize in advanced generalist practice. This concentration gives professionals the leadership skills needed to create change in the field, and they will use evidence-based techniques to solve problems in the industry. The School of Social Work offers this degree at the Reno campus and in a convenient online format.
Advanced Standing Program
62 total credit hours are needed to complete the program with foundational coursework, but this can be waived for students eligible for advanced standing. This truncates the program curriculum to just 32 credit hours as foundational courses will be completed with a Bachelor of Social Work earned from a CSWE-accredited program.
Other requirements for enrollment in advanced standing includes holding a 3.0 cumulative GPA or 3.25 GPA in the second half of the undergraduate program. Regardless of enrollment in the traditional program or advanced standing, there is no Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores needed in the application process.
All social work courses should have been completed with a B- grade or higher. Field work in the undergraduate program should have been completed with professional supervision.
Examples of courses that students may complete in the program include Advanced Multidimensional Assessment, Therapeutic Interventions with Individuals, and Directed Independent Research. Some electives are only available in the on-campus format.
Careers, Licensures, and Salaries in Nevada
Social workers that specialize in child and family services are represented the most according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics with over 3,000 employed. Over two-thirds of this estimate is located in the Las Vegas metropolitan area alone. Workers that represent this sector are typically dealing with families that are struggling with relationships or students that have difficulty with their school performance due to various issues.
Average Salary of a Nevada Social Worker
Salaries for child, family, and school services are estimated at approximately $52,870 in the Las Vegas area and just over $60,000 in Reno. These locations are higher than the general average salary across the state, which sits at $53,980. In comparison, those specializing in health care receive an annual mean wage of $72,640 across the state.
Nevada Social Work Licensure Requirements
Three different licensures exist for social work professionals to obtain in the state of Nevada. One of them is the Licensed Independent Social Worker (LISW), which requires at least Master’s degree from a CSWE-accredited program. This requires prior licensure as a generic Licensed Social Worker in order to obtain the 3,000 hours of supervised work needed in the application process.
Endorsement and Renewal Requirements
Depending on the licensure desired, applicants must complete an advanced generalist or clinical exam through the Association of Social Work Boards. Licenses are accepted from other states through endorsement if the professional is in good standing and have been working for at least five years.
Renewal takes place on an annual basis on the final day of the applicant’s birth month, and continuing education required is based on type of licensure every two years.
Online MSW Programs in Nevada That Are CSWE Accredited
University of Nevada, Reno
- Program: Online MSW: Advanced Generalist CSWE Accredited
- Specialized Area: Advanced Generalist
- Availability: Full Time and Part Time Options
- Advanced Standing Option? Advanced Standing
- Admissions: Open to students anywhere in the United States
- Status: Online with Campus Visit
Campus-Based Nevada MSW Programs
University of Nevada-Las Vegas
- Program: Master of Social Work (MSW)
- Campus: Las Vegas
- Required courses include macro theory, diversity issues, and social welfare policy. Concentration in direct practice with various clients or community management. Latter focus provides advocacy techniques for policy change and program evaluation. Option to complete program with capstone project or thesis for further education. Thesis pathway eliminates one elective to focus on research. Process required with both traditional and advanced standing formats.
University of Nevada-Reno
- Program: Master of Social Work (MSW)
- Campus: Reno
- Concentration offered in advanced generalist practice. Students gain competence in evidence-based treatment and patient evaluation. Applicable to various fields, including health care, school, and substance abuse treatment. Advanced standing requires accredited BSW with 3.0 cumulative GPA. Social work courses with B- or higher, or 3.25 GPA across last half of degree, also accepted. Admission needs in any format include transcripts, personal essay, and resume.
Top MSW Programs
- CSWE Accredited MSW Programs
- 100% Online MSW
- Online Clinical MSW
- Advanced Standing Online MSW
- Online MSW with No GRE
- 1 Year MSW Programs
- CSWE Accreditation
MSW Concentration Areas
- MSW: Hispanic Children & Families
- MSW: Human Rights
- MSW: Individuals & Families
- MSW: Mental Health & Trauma
- MSW: Substance Abuse
- MSW: Urban Family Studies