The second-largest university in the state, Boise State University, has the exclusive online option for the Master of Social Work in Idaho. Average salary for child and family social work services throughout the state is $48,170 annually.
Schools in Idaho with online MSW programs include:
- Boise State University: Online MSW: Individuals and Families
|University of Kentucky||Master||Online Master of Social Work (CSWE Accredited)||Website|
|George Mason University||Master||Master of Social Work (MSW) Online (CSWE Accredited)||Website|
|Our Lady of the Lake University||Master||Online MSW (CSWE Accredited)||Website|
|University of West Florida||Master||Online Master of Social Work (CSWE Accredited)||Website|
|Campbellsville University||Master||Master of Social Work (CSWE Accredited)||Website|
|Aurora University||Master||Online MSW (CSWE Accredited)||Website|
|Sacred Heart University||Master||Master of Social Work (CSWE Accredited)||Website|
Idaho CSWE Accredited MSW Programs
Five total institutions in the state of Idaho have received accreditation by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) for their undergraduate and graduate degrees in social work. Boise State University, Idaho State University, and Northwest Nazarene University have Master's degrees available, with the first school on the list being the exclusive option for online education.
Finding a Campus Based Idaho MSW Program
All institutions are located in different areas across the state, with BSU having additional options in Twin Falls and Coeur d'Alene. Lewis-Clark State College and Brigham Young University in Idaho, which are located in Lewiston and Rexburg respectively, are two institutions that only have a Bachelor's degree in social work.
Boise State University's Masters of Social Work Online
The School of Social Work provides broad education in the field, exploring clinical practice, policy development, and administration within the profession. Graduates from the program will gain an understanding in ethical and legal practice standards, and be able to perform valid research to implement evidence-based treatment. All students pursuing the program can do so completely at their convenience with no requirements to visit the Boise campus.
Students can pursue the program with part-time or full-time enrollment, and either regular or advanced standing. Having advanced standing means that the student is able to eliminate foundational courses and could graduate in as little as one year if pursuing the program full-time. Other variations will depend of the schedule, with the full-time program taking a suggested span of nine semesters.
Field Coursework Requirements
Field coursework requires 1,000 clock hours for the full program, or 600 total hours for the advanced standing. Those 600 hours are earned in the second year for the former, with semesters dividing the work in half. It is recommended that those in part-time enrollment should still avoid full-time jobs in order to fulfill the field practice portion of the curriculum.
Unique options for this program include taking courses individually online instead of pursuing the full program. Around the clock technical support is available to students who are running into issues with their education. Not all student resources are available or are limited for the online program, such as counseling and mental health services.
Social Work Careers, Licensure, and Salaries in Idaho
Professionals into child and family social care services can find plenty of opportunity across the state with over 1,160 workers currently employed. Salaries sit at $48,170 as the annual mean across the state, and this figure can jump to $65,300 in the top 10 percentile according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. Higher-paying opportunities can be found mental health and substance abuse positions, especially in the Boise City metropolitan area.
Idaho Social Work Licensure Requirements
Idaho requires a Master of Social Work degree for the following licensures: Licensed Masters Social Worker and Licensed Clinical Social Worker. Gaining the former licensure will not permit those to perform clinical work, but it is the pathway to do so. This does require passing the Association of Social Work Boards examination in the application process.
Hours of Experience Requirements
For the clinical licensure, at least 3,000 hours of supervised clinical social experience is needed postgraduation. This is accomplished over a two-year time span and can be longer, but no more than five years. At least half of this supervision must be done by a professional holding the LCSW licensure.
Endorsements and Renewal Requirements
Professionals can receive endorsement from the state if they do not have any penalties on record, and this avoids the need to repeat any examinations or supervision requirements unless they failed to meet state standards. 20 hours of continuing education is needed each year, and at least half of this credit must come from formal sources.
Online MSW Programs in Idaho That Are CSWE Accredited
Boise State University
- Program: Online MSW: Individuals and Families CSWE Accredited
- Specialized Area: Individuals and Families
- Availability: Full Time and Part Time Options
- Advanced Standing Option? Advanced Standing
- Admissions: Most of the US
- Status: Fully Online
Campus-Based Idaho MSW Programs
Boise State University
- Program: Master of Social Work (MSW)
- Campus: Boise
- Both traditional and advanced standing formats available completely online. Students eligible for advanced standing with CSWE-accredited degree earned in last seven years. Experience allows 10-year window since earning undergraduate degree. Online admission requires successful background check and social service experience. 1,000 total field practicum hours required. 600 hours reserved for the concentration year divided into 21-22 hours per week.
Northwest Nazarene University
- Program: Master of Social Work (MSW)
- Campus: Nampa
- Concentrations available in clinical mental health and community practice. Latter option provides an overview of macro practice and improving quality of life. Advanced standing offered to students with an accredited BSW degree. Accelerated program completion in as little as 16 months. Distributed on campus with evening and weekend availability for courses. There is no online offering for this graduate program.
Top MSW Programs
- CSWE Accredited MSW Programs
- 100% Online MSW
- Online Clinical MSW
- Advanced Standing Online MSW
- Online MSW with No GRE
- 1 Year MSW Programs
- CSWE Accreditation
MSW Concentration Areas
- MSW: Hispanic Children & Families
- MSW: Human Rights
- MSW: Individuals & Families
- MSW: Mental Health & Trauma
- MSW: Substance Abuse
- MSW: Urban Family Studies