Hawaii has unique state licensure processes with only three years needed between renewals and continuing education waived in the first renewal. The University of Hawaii at Manoa has a convenient Master's degree in social work that offers convenient remote education for residents on other islands.
Schools in Hawaii with online MSW programs include:
- University of Hawai’i at Manoa : Online Master of Social Work
Hawaii CSWE Accredited MSW Programs
There are two universities that offer Master's degrees in social work that has been accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). Holding this designation means that the program has satisfied numerous requirements set by the organization, including having established educational goals and the resources necessary for students to succeed in their career. The University of Hawaii at Manoa has additional hybrid options to add educational flexibility in the state.
Finding a Campus Based Hawaii MSW Program
Opportunities to pursue a Bachelor's and Master's degree can be found at Honolulu and Kaneohe. In addition to the University of Hawaii at Manoa, Hawaii Pacific University offers an on-campus experience for their graduate program. Specializations that can be found at these institutions include gerontology, school social work, and mental health.
University of Hawaii at Manoa's Hybrid MSW
The Myron B. Thompson School of Social Work offers on-campus and hybrid Master of Social Work degrees. Students that do not live near the Honolulu campus will work at remote locations across the state and complete some coursework online. This format is only available to residents in the state and education must be completed at one of the limited remote locations.
It takes three years to complete the hybrid program offered by the university. Part-time education allows for the continuation of professional work, but students will need to work around their field practicum schedules. There is an annual residency requirement at Oahu to receive hands-on experience and prepare for the upcoming year of education.
Technical requirements include having a desktop or laptop with the Windows or Mac operating system installed and high-speed internet access. Applications needed include a web browser such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, Adobe Acrobat Reader, and Microsoft Office 200 or higher. Headset and web camera accessories are needed to interact with others in an online setting.
Prospective students should hold a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution and at least a 3.0 GPA should have been earned over the last two years of work. While a background in social work is not required, students without sufficient liberal arts education will need additional education in the first year. Advanced standing requires three letters of recommendation and an accredited BSW degree.
Careers, Licensures, and Salaries in Hawaii
A few thousand social workers have employment in the state of Hawaii according to information from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. The highest specialization is in child, family, and school services, with over 1,700 workers represented. The majority of these workers are located in the Honolulu metropolitan area.
Professionals specializing in youth and family services will generally help those that are looking for low-income housing or will develop a successful strategy in their schoolwork and social development. Salaries in Hawaii are above the national average, with Honolulu specifically seeing annual average wages at $57,120.
Hawaii Social Work Licensure Requirements
There are three different levels of state licensure in Hawaii, with a culminating licensure for clinical social workers. This final stage requires 3,000 hours of supervised clinical experience, and two-thirds of this must be pursued in certain practice, such as psychotherapy. Applicants must also take and pass the clinical exam offered by the Association of Social Work Boards.
Endorsement and Renewal Requirements
The state of Hawaii allows endorsement of licensures from other locations if the requirements are similar or have more strict guidelines. Renewal takes place every three years prior to June 30th. 45 total credit hours in continuing education is needed, and this is waived for licensed professionals in the first renewal process.
Online MSW Programs in Hawaii That Are CSWE Accredited
University of Hawai’i at Manoa
- Program: Online Master of Social Work CSWE Accredited
- Specialized Area:
- Availability: Full Time and Part Time Options
- Advanced Standing Option? Advanced Standing
- Admissions: Open to residents of neighbor islands
- Status: Fully Online | Online with Campus Visit
Campus-Based Hawaii MSW Programs
Hawaii Pacific University
- Program: Master of Social Work (MSW)
- Campus: Honolulu
- Two or three-year plan feature same curriculum requirements. Part-time enrollment allows for professionals studying with evening and weekend courses. 900 total hours needed for field work over the course of two internships. Students work with the field director to find the best match for their future career. Admission requires Bachelor's degree with 3.0 GPA or 3.25 GPA with advanced standing. Prerequisite courses include research methods and statistics prerequisites.
University of Hawaii at Manoa
- Program: Master of Social Work (MSW)
- Campus: Honolulu
- 57 credit hours needed for the full program with 900 hours toward field experience. Specialization options in behavioral health, general health, gerontology, and child and family. There is no online format that provides the full curriculum for study. Students can pursue this program in different locations than the main campus. Bachelor's degree required for admission and official transcripts are only accepted. Advanced standing requires submission of accredited BSW completion and three recommendation letters.
Top MSW Programs
- CSWE Accredited MSW Programs
- 100% Online MSW
- Online Clinical MSW
- Advanced Standing Online MSW
- Online MSW with No GRE
- 1 Year MSW Programs
- CSWE Accreditation
MSW Concentration Areas
- MSW: Hispanic Children & Families
- MSW: Human Rights
- MSW: Individuals & Families
- MSW: Mental Health & Trauma
- MSW: Substance Abuse
- MSW: Urban Family Studies